Her Excellency, Lady Stanley of Preston had come to Ottawa as the wife of His Excellency, the Right Honourable Lord Stanley of Preston (who later donated the famous Stanley Cup) who was serving as governor general of Canada. While here, she championed the establishment of a local institution for the training of nurses. In the initial discussion surrounding its creation, the institute’s mandate was that, “The Institute will be for the education of women as nurses and will afford a home not only for those in course of training but for many who will devote themselves when trained to the nursing of the sick.”
Given its close proximity to the County of Carleton General Protestant Hospital, the Lady Stanley Institute became closely affiliated with its neighbour. Nurses would live and train in the Lady Stanley Institute, but would also work with the doctors and patients next door.
In 1901, the Lady Stanley Institute for Trained Nurses and the County of Carleton General Protestant Hospital amalgamated. Control and maintenance of the LSI became the responsibility of the CCGPH. Three years later, in 1904, the Lady Stanley Training School of the CCGPH was registered as the first training school in Canada.
When the Lady Stanley Training School merged into the Ottawa Civic Hospital in 1924, its name was temporarily lost to history, until 1938, when a committee formed by its alumni became active. Its name now represents the educational institution where 382 women became nurses.